We all want to age like fine wine and will do everything we can to beat aging. While it is impossible to reverse aging, paying extra care to your skin may be able to delay the appearance of wrinkles and eye bags. So, how can you make your skin look younger?
The main thing you must do to make your skin look younger is to take good care of it. Invest in sunscreen, moisturizing night cream, and retinoids to keep your skin looking fresh, glowing, and youthful. Besides using the right skincare, adopt healthier habits, such as sleep well, drink enough water, eat healthily, and exercise regularly. Doing these will not only give a healthy glow to your skin but will also keep your body in tip-top shape.
Want to know more about how you can make your skin look younger? Below are some tips you absolutely should know!
Use the right skincare products
The right skincare products can really help you maintain younger-looking skin. There are three main ingredients that can help you keep your youthful skin longer:
- Serum with antioxidants, such as vitamin C, to help brighten your skin.
- Serums with retinoids to help increase cell turnover and stimulate collagen renewal.
- Alpha hydroxyl acid exfoliator to remove the top layer of dead skin cells.
Besides the three ingredients above, you may also want to:
- Use a gentle cleanser to preserve your skin barrier, as well as to keep it resistant from damage and dehydration. Avoid cleanser with a high pH and sodium lauryl sulfate as they can be very harsh for your skin. If you use a cleanser with a low pH, you generally do not need a toner.
- Use gentle exfoliant. As we age, our skin does not replenish itself as quickly as it used to, making your skin looks dull and uneven, sometimes even cracked. Exfoliants are a good way to help get dead skin cells off your skin.
- Pat your anti-aging serums, do not rub it. Serums can be important as they contain a higher concentration of active ingredients.
- Always moisturize. Our skin produces less sebum as we age. This means that your skin will dry out more easily and dry skin can result in fine lines. Make sure your skin is adequately hydrated. Use collagen creams as they are known to help reduce fine lines.
Never skip sunscreen
Along with all the serum and creams, do not forget the most important protection for your skin: sunscreen. Whether it’s humid and sunny or chilly and rainy outside, sunscreen is a must to keep your skin looking youthful. Even if you are staying inside all day, you should never skip sunscreen because harmful UV rays can penetrate through clouds and reach you through cars and windows. Remember, even limited exposure to the sun’s radiation can cause damage to your skin. Therefore, make sure to add it to your daily routine if you haven’t already. Sun damage can cause wrinkles and make you more vulnerable to skin cancer. You should use at least SPF 30 to protect your skin. However, do not waste your money on anything higher than SPF 50. There is actually very little evidence that shows higher SPFs can provide more benefits.
Try natural remedies
Some natural remedies can effectively reduce wrinkles and eyebags. The following are some natural remedies you can try:
- Egg whites. You can use egg whites as a mask. Take several egg whites, whip them up, and massage it all over your face. Let it sit and dry for about 15 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Vitamin A and vitamin B in it is believed to reduce wrinkles.
- Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables that are filled with vitamins A and D as they restore the glow of your skin, making it look younger and healthier.
- Aloe vera has healing properties, stimulates new cell growth, as well as soothes and moisturizes your skin without clogging pores. However, since it is possible to allergic to aloe vera, you have to first test it by rubbing a small amount on your forearm. It should be safe to use if no reaction appears within 24 hours.
- Drink more water to have healthier skin. Aim for at least 8 glasses of water per day.
Gently and thoroughly clean your make up
If you wear makeup, especially when you wear it daily, always thoroughly remove them from your face before going to bed. Even if you do not wear makeup, you still need to properly remove sunscreen and sebum from your face. During the day, airborne bacteria and pollution are attracted to your skin. If you don’t wash them away properly, they could potentially cause pigmentation, aging, breakouts, and dullness. One of the best ways to stop this from happening is double-cleansing.
Double cleansing is a method of cleaning your face that involves two rounds of cleansing. For the first round, you can use micellar water, a cleansing oil, or a cleansing balm to break down SPF, sebum, and makeup from the surface of your skin. Then, for the second round, you wash it with a deeper water-based cleanse, which will clean much deeper into your pores to remove any impurities. Doing so will effectively remove sweat, old skin cells, and bacteria. Unlikely to hit the sink before going to bed? Well, if you want to have younger-looking skin, then there’s no excuse! A pack of non-rinse cleansing wipes should only be used when you absolutely cannot wash your face properly as they cannot actually clean anything, leaving your pores clogged with sebum, makeup, and sunscreen.
Try cosmetic treatments
There will always be something that no amount of fancy creams can address, but cosmetic treatments can. If you are thinking about getting cosmetic treatments to make your skin look younger, then you may want to consider the following treatments:
- Facelift, or rhytidectomy, can give you a relaxed and youthful appearance. It works by reducing sagging or folds of the skin on the cheeks, jawline, and other areas of the face that may change shape due to aging.
- Lip augmentation can make your lips look plumper, which will make your appearance younger. As you age, your lips appear thinner due to the decreased production of new collagen and elastin molecules, making you look older than your actual age.
- Botox injection can provide a temporary fix for your wrinkles and creases if you don’t want to go under the knife. Botox is quick and causes little pain. It works by relaxing your clenched facial muscles.
Follow all the tips above and we guarantee you can keep your youthful skin longer!